Re: [REGRESSION] "bind" a device to a driver doesn't not work anymore

From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Wed Oct 21 2009 - 16:20:33 EST

On Wednesday 21 October 2009 12:34:15 pm Éric Piel wrote:
> Op 15-10-09 23:59, Dmitry Torokhov schreef:
> > Hm, this is wierd... In the dmesg you sent me in the previous mail I see:
> >
> > input: AT Raw Set 2 keyboard as
> > /devices/platform/i8042/serio0/input/input4
> >
> > So it looks like sometimes it is in raw and sometimes it is in
> > translated mode. The i8042.reset might be affecting it. Also, are you
> > using BIOS password at resume by any chance?
> >
> > I guess we'll have to wait till you get back to the box and then I want
> > fresh debug dmesgs (after poweroff) of older (with bind/unbind) and
> > latest kernels, going through boot, 1st (make sure to type qwerty) and
> > 2nd resume (qwerty again). Make sure you don't have any other i8042 or
> > atkbd switches besides i8042.debug.
>
> Hello,
> Back with some results :-)
>
> Attached is a (bzip-compressed) log [1] of a 2.6.30 kernel started with
> i8042.debug (nothing else important).
>
> The log contains 4 suspend-resumes (look for "Back to C"):
> * from the console, using "echo mem > /sys/power/state", keyboard fine
> * from the console, using "pm-suspend" (aka "all the nasty stuff done by
> the distro"), keyboard fine
> * from X, using "echo mem > /sys/power/state", keyboard gone
> * a unbind-bind cycle, keyboard back
> * from X, using "echo mem > /sys/power/state", keyboard fine
>

> What I realised during this experiment, is that the keyboard goes away
> after the first suspend-resume _in X_. Each time, I typed on the
> keyboard "qwerty" (and almost nothing else).
>
> Do you see what goes wrong in resuming the keyboard?

Nothing, as far as I can tell... I see you typing "qwerty"... Does the
keyboard work in console (let's say if you boot in run level 3 to take X out
of the picture)? Could you please try compiling evbug module - it will show if
keyboard events are propagated through input core. Also, whta driver are you
using in X? Legacy keyboard or evdev?

--
Dmitry