Re: Memory overcommit

From: Vedran FuraÄ
Date: Mon Oct 26 2009 - 12:16:23 EST

KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki wrote:

> Can I make more questions ?

Sure

> - What's cpu ?

vendor_id : AuthenticAMD

cpu family : 16

model : 4

model name : AMD Phenom(tm) II X3 720 Processor

stepping : 2

cpu MHz : 3314.812

cache size : 512 KB

> - How much memory ?
> - Do you have swap ?

total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 3459 1452 2007 0 65 622
-/+ buffers/cache: 764 2695
Swap: 0 0 0

So, no swap. Don't need it.

> - What's the latest kernel version you tested?

2.6.30-2-amd64 #1 SMP (on Debian)

> - Could you show me /var/log/dmesg and /var/log/messages at OOM ?

It was catastrophe. :) X crashed (or killed) with all the programs, but
my little program was alive for 20 minutes (see timestamps). And for
that time computer was completely unusable. Couldn't even get the
console via ssh. Rally embarrassing for a modern OS to get destroyed by
a 5 lines of C run as an ordinary user. Luckily screen was still alive,
oomk usually kills it also. See for yourself:

dmesg: http://pastebin.com/f3f83738a
messages: http://pastebin.com/f2091110a

(CCing to lklm again... I just want people to see the logs.)

Regards,

Vedran