Re: [REGRESSION] "bind" a device to a driver doesn't not workanymore

From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Mon Oct 26 2009 - 17:35:02 EST

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 01:59:53PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 07:01:50PM -0700, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:

> > > Sorry, am in Tokyo right now.
> > >
> > > I like this patch, and will queue it up, but it's too late for .32, it
> > > will have to wait for .33.
> > >

> > Greg,
> >
> > I hope you will reconsider. The patch is extremely small but without it
> > I am afraid many people whose distributions blindly rebind i8042 on
> > suspend/resume will lose their keyboards and mice now that i8042 uses
> > platform_driver_probe()...
>
> What distros do something like that automatically?

It looks SUSE recommends to do so in one of the Wikis.. There certainly
lots of recommendations to do so in case of keyboard resume troubles all
over the forums (Ubunto, Gentoo, other random ones).

> And this patch will
> not solve that problem, just forbid it from happening, right?

It will prevent unbind from happening so that users who have suspend and
resume working properly but who have bind/unbind in their suspend/resume
scripts regardless will not run into trouble.

This still leaves users whose suspend/resume don't work by default but I
would rather fix their boxes properly instead of relying on that
workaround.

--
Dmitry