Re: removing existing working drivers via staging

From: Alan Cox
Date: Tue Oct 27 2009 - 06:44:13 EST

> this is exactly the 'wants to get rid of' category I mentioned being
> concerned about below.

Why are you concerned, its dead, its defunct, nobody cares, nobody uses
it. The same is true of a lot of other junk drivers we have and need to
get rid of.

> I don't know what was decided at the kernel summit where this was
> discussed, how easy is it supposed to be to drop drivers out of the
> kernel?

If there is someone with the hardware its a trivial git command to put it
back and they can then maintain it, but I'm pretty sure that there won't
be anyone using this ancient hardware and I really doubt the code even
works after the big tty re-arrange.

There is a difference between ancient junk people care about (however
crazy) and stuff that is just dead and slowing real work (and I have
several serial drivers I want to bit bucket such as rio and esp)