Re: [patch] x86: reduce srat verbosity in the kernel log

From: Mike Travis
Date: Wed Oct 28 2009 - 18:36:30 EST

David Rientjes wrote:
On Wed, 28 Oct 2009, Mike Travis wrote:

Printing a list of apic ids longer than 128 characters would pollute the
kernel log and this upper bound will probably never be reached based on the
way apic ids are created for physical and logical processors: they are
normally reduced to ranges instead of comma seperated entities.
Ahh, ok, thanks.

Does that mean this 10,649 character line full of periods is illegal?

I'm not saying it would be illegal, merely that it would be harm readability. Based on how apic id's are formed from processor ids, though, I think we're really talking about an upper limit (128) that will never be reached.

We actually have many, many more than that by adding on some extra bits
to the CPU's apicid. These select which blade in the system to target.

[ 102.551570] Completing Region/Field/Buffer/Package initialization:
<4>Clocksource tsc unstable (delta = 4396383657849 ns)

I'm having trouble finding it. Does it look familiar to anyone?

It's debugging output from acpi_ns_initialize_objects() and each period is from acpi_ns_init_one_device(). You can suppress it by disabing CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG.

Ahh, didn't know that was set in the (our) default config. Is it normally
set by distros? --