Re: hackbench regression with kernel 2.6.32-rc1

From: Zhang, Yanmin
Date: Thu Oct 29 2009 - 02:26:05 EST

On Thu, 2009-10-29 at 06:46 +0100, Mike Galbraith wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-10-29 at 08:50 +0800, Zhang, Yanmin wrote:

> > > Turn off SD_WAKE_BALANCE as it was called in rc1. See commit 182a85f.
> > I run testing against 2.6.32-rc1 which already includes the patch.
>
> Duh, I checked the wrong tree.
>
> SD_PREFER_LOCAL is still on in rc1 though (double checks;), so you'll go
> through the power saving code until you reach a domain containing both
> waker's cpu and wakee's previous cpu even if that code already found
> that a higher domain wasn't overloaded. Looks to me like that block
> wants a want_sd && qualifier.
>
> Even it you turn SD_PREFER_LOCAL off, you can still hit the overhead if
> SD_POWERSAVINGS_BALANCE is set, so I'd make sure both are off and see if
> that's the source (likely, since the rest is already off).
Yes. ïSD_POWERSAVINGS_BALANCE is disabled by default. I applied Peter's patch which
turning ïSD_PREFER_LOCAL off for MC and cpu domain and it doesn't help.
perf counter shows ïselect_task_rq_fair still consumes about 5% cpu time. Eventually,
I found for_each_cpu in for_each_domain consumes the 5% cpu time, because Peter's
patch doesn't turn off ïSD_PREFER_LOCAL for node domain.
I turned it off for node domain against the latest tips tree and tbench regression
disappears on a Nehalem machine and becomes about 2% on another one.

Can we turn it off for node domain by default?