Re: Memory overcommit

From: David Rientjes
Date: Thu Oct 29 2009 - 04:38:38 EST

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009, KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki wrote:

> It's _not_ special to X.
>
> Almost all applications which uses many dynamica libraries can be affected by this,
> total_vm. And, as I explained to Vedran, multi-threaded program like Java can easily
> increase total_vm without using many anon_rss.
> And it's the reason I hate overcommit_memory. size of VM doesn't tell anything.

Right, because in Vedran's latest oom log it shows that Xorg is preferred
more than any other thread other than the memory hogging test program with
your patch than without. I pointed out a clear distinction in the killing
order using both total_vm and rss in that log and in my opinion killing
Xorg as opposed to krunner would be undesireable.