How to immunize a process from the OOM Killer

From: Juan Miscaro
Date: Thu Oct 29 2009 - 15:02:06 EST

Hi, I'm running 2.6.24 on Ubuntu.

I've got a OOM Killer gone wild. I have plenty of free memory (over
40 GB) and lots of processes are being murdered. Anyway, I would like
to first prevent a few processes from being killed in the hopes of
buying me time (users can work) to discover why the killer is being
invoked in the first place.

I've read in a few places [1] that in order to immunize a process you
need to modify the value of /proc/PID/oom_adj. Thing is, such files
cannot be edited directly. How do I achieve my goal?

Thank you,

--
jm

[1]