Re: Memory overcommit

From: Andrea Arcangeli
Date: Fri Oct 30 2009 - 11:16:40 EST

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 03:41:12PM +0100, Vedran FuraÄ wrote:
> Oh... so this is because apps "reserve" (Committed_AS?) more then they
> currently need.

They don't actually reserve, they end up "reserving" if overcommit is
set to 2 (OVERCOMMIT_NEVER)... Apps aren't reserving, more likely they
simply avoid a flood of mmap when a single one is enough to map an
huge MAP_PRIVATE region like shared libs that you may only execute
partially (this is why total_vm is usually much bigger than real ram
mapped by pagetables represented in rss). But those shared libs are
99% pageable and they don't need to stay in swap or ram, so
overcommit-as greatly overstimates the actual needs even if shared lib

> A the time of "malloc: Cannot allocate memory":
>
> CommitLimit: 3364440 kB
> Committed_AS: 3240200 kB
>
> So probably everything is ok (and free is misleading). Overcommit is
> unfortunately necessary if I want to be able to use all my memory.

Add more swap.

> Btw. http://www.redhat.com/advice/tips/meminfo.html says Committed_AS is
> a (gu)estimate. Hope it is a good (not to high) guesstimate. :)

It is a guess in the sense to guarantee no ENOMEM it has to take into
account the worst possible case, that is all shared lib MAP_PRIVATE
mappings are cowed, which is very far from reality. Other than that
the overcommitas should exactly match all mmapped possibly writeable
space that can only fit in ram+swap, so from that point of view it's
not a guessed number (modulo the smp read out of order). The only
guess is how much slab, cache and other stuff is freeable, which
doesn't provide true perfection to OVERCOMMIT_NEVER.