Re: Please consider reverting7d930bc33653d5592dc386a76a38f39c2e962344

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Nov 03 2009 - 12:01:33 EST

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009, Marcel Holtmann wrote:

> However to be fair here, this one didn't hit everybody. I for myself
> haven't seen it at all and actually I have been running this "faulty"
> kernel for a while now and suspending happily multiple times a day. As
> much as you hate that the patch for this bug took longer than needed to
> find its way into your tree, the immediate need and the wide problem was
> not clear.

I do not agree.

A _single_ NULL pointer report should have made it clear. As mentioned, I
was involved in one of the "please revert" threads, and I looked at the
code, and it was obviously bogus. I could (and did) point to the exact
memcpy() that caused the problem.

There really was no excuse. That 7d930bc33 commit had a NULL pointer
dereference, and people hit it. End of story.

The fact that not _all_ people hit it explains how it got pulled into my
tree in the first place, but that's it.

Linus