Re: OOM killer, page fault

From: Norbert Preining
Date: Thu Nov 05 2009 - 10:26:36 EST

Hi Kim,

> > sorry for the late reply. I have two news, one good and one bad: The good
> > being that I can reproduce the bug by running VirtualBox with some W7
>
> W7 means "Windows 7"?

Yes, sorry for the shorthand.

> > I know it sounds completely crazy, the patch only does harmless things
> > afais. But I tried it. Several times. rc6+patch never did boot, while
> > rc5 without path did boot. Then I patched it into -rc5, recompiled, and
> > boom, no boot. booting into .31.5, recompiling rc6 and rc5 without
> > that patch and suddenly rc6 boots (and I am sure rc5, too).
>
> Hmm. It's out of my knowledge.
> Probably, It's because WARN_ON?
> Could you try it with omitting WARN_ON, again?

Will do that.

> > Ah yes, I can reproduce the original strange bug with oom killer!
>
> Sounds good to me.
> Could you tell me your test scenario, your system info(CPU, RAM) and
> config?
> I want to reproduce it in my mahchine to not bother you. :)

Puhh, well, I meant "I could reproduce it", but not "I have a clear
idea what steps to be taken to reproduce it" ;-) Well here is what I can
tell you:
actual hardware:
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P9500
Memory 2G
Config of my kernel attached.

Virtual Machine (VirtualBox, not the OSE variant, I need USB 2.0 support
for GPS stuff):
VirtualBox 3.0.10
memory for the machine: 1G (50%)
ACPI and IO/APIC turned on
1 processor with PAE/NX
VT-x and Nested Paging activated
Display 128M
(need more details?)

I will remove the WARN_ON and reboot and see if that works. If yes I try
to recreate the problem.

Best wishes

Norbert

Dr. Norbert Preining Associate Professor
JAIST Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology preining@xxxxxxxxxxx
Vienna University of Technology preining@xxxxxxxx
Debian Developer (Debian TeX Task Force) preining@xxxxxxxxxx