Re: i686 quirk for AMD Geode

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Sun Nov 08 2009 - 17:17:43 EST

Keep in mind that if we end up running that on code with any kind of significant fraction of CMOV it will utterly suck. Count 500-odd cycles per emulated instruction. It *is* still useful in some cases - which is why we have x87 emulation already, for example. The question is mostly where the point of diminishing returns go. In theory we could provide a full x86 interpreter (perhaps shared with KVM?) which would allow any instruction at all to be executed.

--
Sent from my mobile phone. Please excuse any lack of formatting.