Re: i686 quirk for AMD Geode

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Tue Nov 10 2009 - 05:42:44 EST

On 11/10/2009 08:02 AM, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
On 11/09/2009 09:27 PM, Willy Tarreau wrote:
Also, I think that if we start adding emulation, a global and per-task
counter would immensely help to know what processes make intensive use
of emulation.

Agreed.

My first question would be if the interpreter in KVM can be reused in
any way.

In theory yes. There would need to be a bit of work to disassociate it from kvm, but nothing too difficult.

Note that the kvm x86 emulator is more general than need be (emulates real mode code and cpl 0 instructions) and less general than needed (many instructions are not emulated, for example nopl).