Re: i686 quirk for AMD Geode

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Tue Nov 10 2009 - 14:51:20 EST

On 11/10/2009 08:49 PM, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

Why is using KVM doing it right ? It sounds like its doing it slowly,
and hideously memory inefficiently. You are solving an uninteresting
general case problem when you just need two tiny fixups (or perhaps 3 if
you want to fix up early x86-64 prefetch)
Why do we only need "two tiny fixups"? Where do we draw the line in
terms of ISA compatibility? One could easily argue that the Right
Thing[TM] is to be able to process any optional instruction -- otherwise
one has a very difficult place to draw a line.

Consider SSE3, for example. Why should the same concept not apply to
SSE3 instructions as to CMOV?

Because then user programs would run 20x or more slower than the user expects. Better to terminate early (and teach userspace how to choose the instruction subset correctly).