Re: [GIT PULL] percpu fixes for 2.6.32-rc6

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Nov 12 2009 - 10:53:35 EST

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009, Tejun Heo wrote:

> 11/13/2009 12:30 AM, Tejun Heo wrote:
> >> 'checkpatch' is the major reason for them, but I think we've fixed
> >> checkpath long ago to not warn about long lines if they are due to a long
> >> string.
>
> It still warns... :-(
>
> WARNING: line over 80 characters
> #11: FILE: mm/percpu.c:1100:
> + err = "failed to extend area map of reserved chunk";

Ok, just ignore it. The 80-column warning has always been sh*t anyway.

It may be that the "long line" warning is suppressed only for actual
'printk()' cases, but it may also be that it looks at the intendation and
only suppresses it for low levels of indents. I'm allergic to perl, so I'm
not even going to look to try to find out the details.

Linus