Re: [GIT PULL] percpu fixes for 2.6.32-rc6

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Nov 12 2009 - 12:19:26 EST

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009, Andres Baldrich wrote:

> (Kernel)/Documentation/CodingStyle
> line 83:

A lot of people have added code to CodingStyle. That doesn't make it
final. For example, that 80-column thing never existed in my original
coding style, for a reason.

I'm really inclined to just remove the stupid thing entirely both from
coding-style and from checkpatch.

80 columns do not matter. What matters is:
- indentation
- complex expressions and statements

and those two issues _together_ means that 80+ columns should be damn
rare, but the 80 columns itself is not at all that important.

Much more important than 80 columns should be the general guideline that a
"terminal window" may be as small as 80x24. But notice how 80 is just a
small part of that limitation - the 24 is as important as the 80. We have
a guideline that functions should fit on a screenful or two, ie we should
generally aim for functions to be <50 lines long.

And the 80-column thing is EXACTLY THE SAME THING. We should remember that
people may read the code using a roughly 80x24 screen size, but the same
way that nobody sane thinks that "24" is some hard limit on number of
lines, why do people suddenly think that "80" is a hard limit on the
number of columns?

Linus