Re: Documentation: rw_lock lessons learned

From: William Allen Simpson
Date: Fri Nov 13 2009 - 11:15:59 EST

Stefan Richter wrote:
Stephen Hemminger wrote:
On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 14:13:03 -0500
Stephen Clark <sclark46@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
How up to date is this doc?

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/rusty/kernel-locking/index.html

Out of date.
1. Missing mutex's which have largely replaced semaphores.

2. Missing change to lock initialization in later kernels.

3. Missing description of lock dependency checker which should be in same guide.

4. The section on atomic reference counting should refer to <linux/kref.h>.

I'd also read that, and that's where I got some of my wrong thinking. But
that does point to Documentation/spin_locks.txt, which I took to be
authoritative (and followed). That's the reason spin_locks.txt should be
updated, as others are having the same problems....

Anybody have answers/updates to Linus's concerns about "pretty old and
bogus language"?