Re: PCI: pci_restore_state() is returning 0 when it fails

From: Ben Hutchings
Date: Mon Nov 16 2009 - 09:49:45 EST

On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 12:13 -0200, Breno Leitao wrote:
> Hi Rafael,
>
> Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> > On Friday 13 November 2009, Breno Leitao wrote:
> >> Actually pci_restore_state() is returning 0 if the restore process
> >> fails, instead of a error value.
> >>
> >> If it fails, I believe that it should return -EPERM, once that
> >> it is an invalid operation and probably pci_save_state() wasn't
> >> called.
> >
> > I believe this patch will break a number of things.
> Well, I checked it, and found that there are around 10 places that
> really verify the return value for this function, and almost all of them
> do the correct thing, and the patch doesn't seem to break any of them
> except a specific case in the drivers/net/sfc/falcon.c file, that contains:
[...]
> That's because the code is calling pci_restore_state() twice without calling
> pci_save_state() in the middle.
> Since this seems to be the only place that will be broken, and the fix is
> trivial, I believe that the patch can be applied smoothly.
[...]

This code supports two similar PCI devices, one of which has a second
function that is not truly independent. For that chip it saves and
restores both functions' config space. So far as I know, there are no
cases where it fails to match save and restore.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings, Senior Software Engineer, Solarflare Communications
They asked us to note that Solarflare product names are trademarked.