Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: virtio: Add memory statistics reporting to the balloon driver (V2)

From: Jamie Lokier
Date: Wed Nov 18 2009 - 11:56:53 EST

Anthony Liguori wrote:
> Rusty Russell wrote:
> >The little-endian conversion of the balloon driver is a historical mistake
> >(no other driver does this). Let's not extend it to the stats.
>
> I think the mistake is that the other drivers don't do that.
>
> We cheat in qemu and assume that the guest is always in a fixed
> endianness but this is not always the case for all architectures.

If guests can have different endianness (reasonable on some CPUs where
it's switchable - some even have more than 2 options), then I guess
the *host* on those systems have different endianness too.

Is the host's endianness signalled to the guest anywhere, so that
guest drivers can do cpu_to_qemuhost32(), when someone eventually
finds that necessary?

-- Jamie