Re: BUG: GCC-4.4.x changes the function frame on some functions

From: Thomas Gleixner
Date: Thu Nov 19 2009 - 21:17:02 EST

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009, Thomas Gleixner wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Nov 2009, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > On Fri, 20 Nov 2009, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> > >
> > > While testing various kernel configs we found out that the problem
> > > comes and goes. Finally I started to compare the gcc command line
> > > options and after some fiddling it turned out that the following
> > > minimal deltas change the code generator behaviour:
> > >
> > > Bad: -march=pentium-mmx -Wa,-mtune=generic32
> > > Good: -march=i686 -mtune=generic -Wa,-mtune=generic32
> > > Good: -march=pentium-mmx -mtune-generic -Wa,-mtune=generic32

Found some more:

Bad: -march=k6 -Wa,-mtune=generic32
Bad: -march=geode -Wa,-mtune=generic32
Bad: -march=c3 -Wa,-mtune=generic32

That seems every thing which has MMX support but no SSE and is somehow
compatible to the pentium-mmx.

Looks like the code generator optimization for those was done after
consuming the secret gcc-shrooms.

Thanks,

tglx