Re: [Bug #14622] Second IDE device not found

From: Zeno Davatz
Date: Fri Nov 20 2009 - 08:35:18 EST

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 12:31 PM, Jeff Garzik <jeff@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I use minicom and a null modem serial cable.  One of minicom's commands will
> capture everything sent to the serial port, to a file.  Other options are
> available.  Googling for "linux serial console" found several useful
> starting-point links.
>
> The basic idea is to sent console output to a serial port, and then have
> some method of reading and capturing the serial port's data.
>
> Another alternative is netconsole (google for "linux netconsole"), which
> permits output over the network.

Ok, I will try to look into this.

> Well, this goes back to David's basic request:  IDE-only or ATA-only.

I find it a bit irritating, that CONFIG_IDE is mentioned as ATA in
make menuconfig. But I'm trying to understand your point.

> You really, really, really should not to enable both at the same time.

I recompiled the kernel only with below settings all enabled.

> If you are choosing ATA-only (libata), then you should disable CONFIG_IDE
> and everything associated with CONFIG_IDE, including CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SVWKS.

I disabled CONFIG_IDE this time.

> libata will want something like
> CONFIG_ATA
> CONFIG_ATA_VERBOSE_ERROR        <-- optional, but helpful
> CONFIG_PATA_SERVERWORKS
>
> CONFIG_SCSI
> CONFIG_SCSI_LOGGING             <-- ditto
> CONFIG_SCSI_CONSTANTS           <-- ditto
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR               <-- required only for CD-ROM support

Recompiled with above enabled. And indeed: It worked. Booting as normal.

Thank you for the detailed instructions.

Best
Zeno