Re: [patch] x86: reduce srat verbosity in the kernel log

From: Mike Travis
Date: Fri Nov 20 2009 - 13:58:52 EST

Pavel Machek wrote:
Hi!

There's two problems outlined in this discussion:

A) too verbose bootup that is annoying with 64 CPUs and a show-stopper
with 4096 CPUs.

B) the ad-hoc nature of our topology enumeration. Some of it is in
/sys, some of it is in printk logs. None really works well and there's no structure in it.

The simplest solution for (A) is what i suggested a few mails ago: dont print the information by default, but allow (for trouble-shooting) purposes for it to be printed when a boot option is passed.

Well, yes, it is *simplest*, but is it best? Example printing 'cpus
0-31 stepping 3, cpus 32-63 stepping 4' seem rather convincing --such
info should be there by default and not after speciial option...
Pavel

I think that Ingo had a point. If it's printing a summary after the
all the cpu's boot, then it should also be available online, which in
this case it's in /proc/cpuinfo.

Ingo - was there anything left open on my last submission that I have
to deal with, to gain acceptance?

Thanks,
Mike