Re: MODULE_DEVICE_TABLE(isapnp, ...) does nothing

From: Kay Sievers
Date: Mon Nov 23 2009 - 09:21:31 EST

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 09:40, Takashi Iwai <tiwai@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> At Mon, 23 Nov 2009 13:59:53 +1030,
> Rusty Russell wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 07:31:57 am Ondrej Zary wrote:
>> > The problem is that
>> > scripts/mod/file2alias.c simply ignores isapnp.
>>
>> AFAICT it always has, and noone has complained until now. ÂPerhaps something
>> was still reading /lib/modules/`uname -r`/modules.isapnpmap?
>
> I don't think modules.isapnpmap is needed again.
> The question came from the fact that the isapnp device wasn't loaded
> automatically.

All the map files are not uses for anything these days. Ideally,
depmod should just stop creating these dead files.

> But, I thought Kay already added isapnp support sometime ago, but it
> didn't seem to get in... ÂKay?

No, we don't even have proper modaliases for the pnp bus
(/sys/bus/pnp) and the alias string for pnp in the modules have a
broken and unfixable format. PNP autoloading is all handled by the
acpi modaliases these days. This is the first time in years I hear
anybody asking for hotplug setups of plain old pnp devices. :)

Thanks,
Kay