Re: linux-next: mfd tree build failure

From: Mark Brown
Date: Mon Nov 23 2009 - 10:21:10 EST

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 03:44:14PM +0100, Samuel Ortiz wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 01:11:13PM +0000, Mark Brown wrote:

> > I don't see getting them exported flying, especially not in the
> > timeframe we've got for the merge window. Keeping them non-exported has
> > been a deliberate decision on the part of the genirq maintainers.

> Out of curiosity, what's the reasoning behind thatdecision ?

Unless you're actually implementing an interrupt controller those APIs
should never be called and people should be using flags on request_irq()
or similar. Driver authors have been awfully fond of bypassing those
APIs, but this prevents them doing so.

None of this is really a practical issue unless you implement an IRQ
controller in a driver and that's very rare (or has been up until now).