Re: RFC: Put printk buffer in video ram

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Mon Nov 23 2009 - 13:32:57 EST

* Maxim Levitsky <maximlevitsky@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, 2009-11-22 at 14:15 +0200, Maxim Levitsky wrote:

> Few more thoughts:
>
> First of all, if I implement this as a console driver, I won't be able
> to capture all kernel log, but only from the point I register the
> console.

Adding an early console driver would solve this, right?

There's an earlyprintk=..,keep option that also allows such a console
driver to be active during normal system operation - that way you could
get this feature with a single console driver.

> My implementation, also isn't set up very early, but I copy already
> written log to the memory buffer.
>
> Problem of automatic unregistration isn't a problem, its just a feature,
> I could skip using.
>
> Secondary, I found out that system ram isn't cleared ether on my
> notebook, however I found out that I can't reserve small memory range
> with 'memmap' kernel parameter. System just panics.
> I used for reference 'memmap=2M$0x60000000'
> My system has 2GB of memory.
>
> I could reserve the memory same way using the code, but it would
> probably fail in same way. Also I could try early reservations, but I am
> not sure I can reserve _any_ address range. I test this.
>
> I think that patches to put printk buffer at predefined area in system
> ram were once posted on LKML.

The way to early-reserve memory on x86 is to use find_e820_area() +
reserve_early().

Ingo