Re: Weird I/O errors with USB hard drive not remounting filesystemreadonly

From: Jan Kara
Date: Mon Nov 23 2009 - 13:55:02 EST

On Mon 23-11-09 13:20:26, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Nov 2009, Jan Kara wrote:

> > > Is there any interest in tracking this down? It's not hard to find out
> > > what low-level errors are being reported and to generate them on demand
> > > with an emulated USB disk drive.
> > Well, if you could provide me with the patch, I could try to track down
> > why the errors aren't propagated... It would be interesting because if it's
> > not some retry logic in block layer, it's a bug in VFS ;).
>
> I can't provide a patch without first knowing what the errors are. The
> way to find out is to use usbmon. See Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt for
> instructions.
Ah, OK. The problem manifests itself as an error in SATA communication
(which in fact somehow happens over USB, but I don't really know the
details of mass storage over USB) so debugging USB would become actual only
if we found out it's really some bug in an usb stack. But so far the most
probable is just an error somewhere between the USB controller in the
enclosure and the drive itself. BTW: Is the data transferred over USB
checksummed?

Honza