Re: Which kernel options should be enabled to find the root causeof this bug?

From: Eric Sandeen
Date: Tue Nov 24 2009 - 10:47:04 EST

Justin Piszcz wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Oct 2009, Justin Piszcz wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a system I recently upgraded from 2.6.30.x and after
>> approximately 24-48 hours--sometimes longer, the system cannot write
>> any more files to disk (luckily though I can still write to /dev/shm)
>> -- to which I have
>> saved the sysrq-t and sysrq-w output:
>>
>> http://home.comcast.net/~jpiszcz/20091017/sysrq-w.txt
>> http://home.comcast.net/~jpiszcz/20091017/sysrq-t.txt

Unfortunately it looks like a lot of the sysrq-t, at least, was lost.

The sysrq-w trace has the "show blocked state" start a ways down the file,
for anyone playing along at home ;)

Other things you might try are a sysrq-m to get memory state...

>> Configuration:
>>
>> $ cat /proc/mdstat Personalities : [raid1] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4] md1
>> : active raid1 sdb2[1] sda2[0]
>> 136448 blocks [2/2] [UU]
>>
>> md2 : active raid1 sdb3[1] sda3[0]
>> 129596288 blocks [2/2] [UU]
>>
>> md3 : active raid5 sdj1[7] sdi1[6] sdh1[5] sdf1[3] sdg1[4] sde1[2]
>> sdd1[1] sdc1[0]
>> 5128001536 blocks level 5, 1024k chunk, algorithm 2 [8/8] [UUUUUUUU]
>>
>> md0 : active raid1 sdb1[1] sda1[0]
>> 16787776 blocks [2/2] [UU]
>>
>> $ mount
>> /dev/md2 on / type xfs (rw,noatime,nobarrier,logbufs=8,logbsize=262144)
>> tmpfs on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
>> proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
>> sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
>> udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
>> tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
>> devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=620)
>> /dev/md1 on /boot type ext3 (rw,noatime)
>> /dev/md3 on /r/1 type xfs
>> (rw,noatime,nobarrier,logbufs=8,logbsize=262144)
>> rpc_pipefs on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)
>> nfsd on /proc/fs/nfsd type nfsd (rw)

Do you get the same behavior if you don't add the log options at mount time?
Kind of grasping at straws here for now ...

>> Arch: x86_64
>>
>> The problem occurs with 2.6.31 and I upgraded to 2.6.31.4 and the problem
>> persists.

> In addition to using netconsole, which kernel options should be enabled
> to better diagnose this issue?
>
> Should I enable these to help track down this bug?
>
> [ ] XFS Debugging support (EXPERIMENTAL)
> [ ] Compile the kernel with frame pointers

The former probably won't hurt; the latter might gibe us better backtraces.

> Are there any other options that will help determine the root cause of this
> bug that are recommended?

Not that I can think of off hand ...

-Eric