Re: IR raw input is not sutable for input system

From: Krzysztof Halasa
Date: Wed Nov 25 2009 - 12:18:52 EST

Trent Piepho <xyzzy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> The signal recevied by the ir receiver contains glitches. Depending on the
> receiver there can be quite a few. It is also not trivial to turn the raw
> signal sent by the remote into a digital value, even if you know what to
> expect. It takes digital signal processing techniques to turn the messy
> sequence of inaccurate mark and space lengths into a best guess at what
> digital code the remote sent.

This is of course true. Except that most receivers do that in hardware,
the receiver/demodular chip such as TSOP1838 does it.
If you receive with a phototransistor or a photodiode feeding some sort
of ADC device (not a very smart design), sure - you have to do this
yourself.

I have never heard of such receiver, though.

> One thing that could be done, unless it has changed much since I wrote it
> 10+ years ago, is to take the mark/space protocol the ir device uses and sent
> that data to lircd via the input layer. It would be less efficient, but
> would avoid another kernel interface. Of course the input layer to lircd
> interface would be somewhat different than other input devices, so
> it's not entirely correct to say another interface is avoided.

IOW, it would be worse, wouldn't it?
--
Krzysztof Halasa