Re: [RFC,PATCH 0/14] utrace/ptrace

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Thu Nov 26 2009 - 07:25:04 EST

* Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 10:10:52AM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > > [...] Given that's it's pretty much too later for the 2.6.33 cycle
> > > anyway I'd suggest you make sure the remaining two major architectures
> > > (arm and mips) get converted, and if the remaining minor architectures
> > > don't manage to get their homework done they're left without ptrace.
> >
> > I suspect the opinion of the ptrace maintainers matters heavily whether
> > it's appropriate for v2.6.33. You are not going to maintain this, they
> > are.
>
> I am whoever like many others going to use it. And throwing in new
> code a few days before the merge window closes [...]

FYI, the merge window has not opened yet, so it cannot close in a few
days.

> [...] and thus not getting any of the broad -next test coverage is a
> pretty bad idea. In the end it will be the maintainers ruling but
> that doesn't make it a good idea from the engineering point of view.

FYI, it's been in -mm, that's where it's maintained.

> > Regarding porting it to even more architectures - that's pretty much
> > the worst idea possible. It increases maintenance and testing
> > overhead by exploding the test matrix, while giving little to end
> > result. Plus the worst effect of it is that it becomes even more
> > intrusive and even harder (and riskier) to merge.
>
> But it doesn't. Take a look at what these patches actually do, they
> basically introduce a new utrace layer, and (conditionally) rewrite
> ptrace to use it. The arch support isn't actually part of these
> patches directly but rather the cleanup of the underlying arch ptrace
> code to use regsets, tracehooks and co so that the new ptrace code can
> use.

( I am aware of its design, i merged the original tracehook patches for
x86. )

> What the patches in the current form do is to introduce two different
> ptrace implementations, with one used on the architectures getting
> most testing and another secondary one for left over embedded or dead
> architectures with horrible results. So removing the old one is much
> better. The arm ptrace rewrite has already been posted by Roland, btw
> including some feedback from Russell, but nothing really happened to
> it.

Yes. Which is a further argument to not do it like that but to do one
arch at a time. Trying to do too much at once is bad engineering.

Ingo