Re: [RFC] What are the goals for the architecture of an in-kernelIR system?

From: Stefan Richter
Date: Sat Nov 28 2009 - 13:18:27 EST

Jon Smirl wrote:
> There are two very basic things that we need to reach consensus on first.
>
> 1) Unification with mouse/keyboard in evdev - put IR on equal footing.
> 2) Specific tools (xmodmap, setkeycodes, etc or the LIRC ones) or
> generic tools (ls, mkdir, echo) for configuration

About 2: If at all, there only needs to be a decision about pulse/space
to scancode converter configuration. In contrast, scancode to keycode
converter configuration is already solved; the interface is
EVIOCSKEYCODE. If you find the EVIOCSKEYCODE interface lacking, extend
it or submit an alternative --- but this does not affect LIRC and
whether to merge it in any way.

PS: Drop your "specific vs. generic tools" terminology already. Your
configfs based proposal requires "specific" tools as well, it's just
that they can be implemented in bash, among else.
--
Stefan Richter