Re: [RFC] What are the goals for the architecture of an in-kernelIR system?

From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Sat Nov 28 2009 - 23:58:41 EST

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 06:26:55PM -0500, Andy Walls wrote:
> Jon,
>
> On Sat, 2009-11-28 at 12:37 -0500, Jon Smirl wrote:

> The only thing this buys for the user is remote/products bundles that
> work out of the box. That can only be a solution for the 80% case.
>
> I don't hear users crying out "Please integrate IR with the input
> system". I do hear users say "I want my remote to work", and "How can I
> make my remote work?". Users are not specifically asking for this
> integration of IR and the input system - a technical nuance.

Right, but if remotes work users did not care if we went through 20
revisions of the interface and how much effort was wasted. When we
talking about users here we do talk about application developers mostly,
not the consumers.

Well, consumers would bennefit of plug and play and proper power
management too.

--
Dmitry