Why does the disk still thrash when I have no swap?

From: Adam Nielsen
Date: Sun Nov 29 2009 - 00:09:56 EST

Hi all,

My PC (x86_64) used to have 4GB RAM and 4GB swap. I found that if I was doing something very memory-intensive it would thrash, in that the entire PC would grind to a halt while data was moved in and out of swap. In some cases the PC would be unresponsive for over 12 hours when I would just give up and reboot.

To avoid this I decided to upgrade the system to 8GB of RAM and disable swap. I figured the system should work fine without swap given that the total available memory hasn't changed, it's just that half of it used to be swap and now it's actual RAM. It's been fine for about a year now.

I was just compiling KDE and had a couple of VirtualBoxes running, which appeared to max out my memory - it reached 6.9GB in use. I say "appeared" to max out my memory because the entire system froze again and the disk was thrashing, just like it used to when I had swap enabled.

I eventually managed to suspend the compile job which stopped all disk activity, and told VirtualBox to grab a snapshot of the running VMs which took about 10 minutes (compared to the usual 10 seconds) with the disk being hammered the whole time and the system unusable (couldn't move the mouse cursor more than a few pixels a minute.)

Does anyone know what could have caused this 'thrash' to occur? I have checked and definitely have swap disabled (/proc/swaps is empty) and I have no swap partitions on my disks anyway. Could it be that the disk cache was forced to shrink and suddenly all accesses to the filesystem became unbuffered and incredibly slow? Why would this stop the X11 mouse cursor from moving?

Thanks,
Adam.