Re: [RFC] What are the goals for the architecture of an in-kernelIR system?

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Date: Tue Dec 01 2009 - 09:03:18 EST

On 12/01/09 12:49, Andy Walls wrote:
On Tue, 2009-12-01 at 11:46 +0100, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
Once lirc_dev is merged you can easily fix this: You'll have *one*
driver which supports *both* evdev and lirc interfaces. If lircd opens
the lirc interface raw data will be sent there, keystrokes come in via
uinput. Otherwise keystrokes are send directly via evdev. Problem solved.

This will be kind of strange for lirc_zilog (aka lirc_pvr150). It
supports IR transmit on the PVR-150, HVR-1600, and HD-PVR. I don't know
if transmit is raw pulse timings, but I'm sure the unit provides codes
on receive. Occasionally blocks of "boot data" need to be programmed
into the transmitter side. I suspect lirc_zilog will likely need
rework....

Well, for IR *output* it doesn't make sense to disable evdev. One more reason which indicates it probaably is better to introduce a ioctl to disable evdev reporting. lircd will probably turn it off, especially when sending data to uevent. debug tools might not, likewise apps sending IR.

so killing the in-kernel IR limits to make ir-kbd-i2c
being on par with lirc_i2c might be more useful in this case.

I didn't quite understand that. Can you provide a little more info?

Such as throwing away the address part of rc5 codes ...

cheers,
Gerd