Re: Perf events/ARM

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue Dec 01 2009 - 09:31:30 EST

* Jamie Iles <jamie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking at adding support for the hardware performance counters in ARMv6
> using the new perf events framework. I have a simple setup that uses the
> counters on their own, but wrt the perf events framework:
>
> - what are the requirements of set_perf_event_pending() and
> perf_event_do_pending()? As far as I can tell from sparc/x86/powerpc,
> set_perf_event_pending() triggers an interrupt that then calls
> perf_event_do_pending(). Does perf_event_do_pending need to run in
> interrupt context or could I use a soft IRQ if platforms don't have a
> spare IRQ?

softirq would be fine too i suspect - but then you need to increase the
buffering of perf_pending_head, as multiple hardirqs could hit before
the softirq processing has finished.

As that gets complex quick, an acceptable first-order approach would be
to just ignore those lost events and run it from a softirq - i _think_
everything should be OK.

> - ARM does not have proper support for atomic64's. Other than
> performance, would there be any known problems with using the generic
> spinlocked atomic64's?

Not a problem at all. Even performance-wise they are pretty nice - Paul
has done a nice job hashing it along 16 spinlocks - so for small SMP
systems there should be no global cacheline bounce.

Ingo