Re: warning: massive change to conditional coding style in net?

From: Eric Dumazet
Date: Tue Dec 01 2009 - 11:49:46 EST

William Allen Simpson a Ãcrit :
> Joe Perches wrote:
>> If it makes getting tcp cookies accepted difficult,
>> a reversion is simple. That style isn't as important.
>>
> Then why make an *un*important (yet sweeping) change?

Because this is time :

We usually makes cleanup patches just before the release
of a new linux kernel, to minimize effects on developer trees.

We know linux-2.6.32 is about to be released by Linus,
and all major 2.6.33 patches are already queued in net-next-2.6
to be pushed to Linus as soon as the window opens.

This is the perfect time for cleanups. Doing cleanups is a good
way to learn linux code, before doing more complex things.

If you take a look at queued patches in net-next-2.6, maybe less
than 5 % are cleanups.

But this rule can be changed, if your patches are ready for inclusion,
David might revert the jumbo cleanup to ease your job. Just ask.