Re: Bisected: s2disk (uswsusp only) hangs just before poweroff

From: Justin P. Mattock
Date: Tue Dec 01 2009 - 15:24:40 EST

On 12/01/09 11:59, Alan Jenkins wrote:
Hi

Suspend to disk is (sometimes) hanging for me in 2.6.32-rc. I finally
got around to bisecting it, which blamed the following commit by Mel:

5f8dcc2 "page-allocator: split per-cpu list into one-list-per-migrate-type"

I was able to confirm this by reverting the commit, which fixed the
hang. I had to revert one other commit first to avoid a conflict:

a6f9edd "page-allocator: maintain rolling count of pages to free from
the PCP"

-- detail --

When I suspend my EeePc 701 to disk, it sometimes hangs after writing
out the hibernation image. The system is still able to resume from this
image (after working around the hang by pressing the power button).
This is specific to s2disk from the uswsusp package (which is now
installed by default on debian unstable). It doesn't happen if I
uninstall uswsusp and use the in-kernel suspend instead.

The hang doesn't happen if I boot with "init=/bin/bash" and run s2disk.
Nor does it happen if I boot normally, then switch to single user mode
("telinit 12").

It only happens if I've logged in to KDE. In the past, this has
indicated a problem in a network driver, since NetworkManager only made
a connection once I logged in. But it still hangs if I remove both ath5k
and atl2 before I log into KDE. (I actually tried removing as many
modules as possible: atl2, ath5k, usbcore, snd-hda-intel, psmouse,
pcspkr, battery, ac, themal, fan, and eeepc-laptop). Perhaps it's
something to do with the size of the hibernation image.

-- confidence in the bisection result --

The randomness was a bit annoying, but it's not too bad. The hang would
normally show up in the first 3 hibernation cycles; I don't remember
having to wait more than 6.

I wrote a script to do s2disk + rtcwake so I could leave it testing
without constantly hitting the power button. This let me test 2.6.32-rc8
with the reverts for at least 20 hibernation cycles.

Regards
Alan

hmm.. maybe this is what I'm seeing over here
i.g. on my macbook(ati gpu) the first s2ram will
lagg for about 30/40 secs before waking up
then every other cycle afterwards reacts as it should.
Threw in kernels 2.6.30,31 before doing anything
but showed the same results, leading me to beleive maybe
I have some userspace issue(libx86)going on.

I'll try reverting that commit to see.

Thanks

Justin P. Mattock