Re: Q, slab, kmemleak_erase() and redzone?

From: Pekka Enberg
Date: Wed Dec 02 2009 - 02:01:22 EST

Hi!

hooanon05@xxxxxxxxxxx kirjoitti:
Pekka Enberg:
No, you are absolutely correct. Can you please send an updated patch to Catalin that adds a comment on top of the cpu_cache_get() call that explains why we need it there?
Doh, this was supposed to be a reply to Okajima's email :-).

Before I send a small patch, let me make sure about other small issues.

- How heavy is 'ac = cpu_cache_get(cachep)' (which will be inserted by
the patch)?
It will be compiled and executed regardless CONFIG_DEBUG_KMEMLEAK, and
it is totally meaningless when DEBUG_KMEMLEAK is disabled. Can we
ignore this loss?

No, it won't be. The compiler should notice it's dead code and remove it when CONFIG_KMEMLEAK is disabled.

- Should we add a condition 'if (objp)' before calling kmemleak_erase()?
As Catalin wrote, it may be harmless. But setting NULL is unnecessary.
Do you accept this change too?

Yeah, I'd prefer to see the check there. While Catalin is correct, that's not obvious from reading the code.

Pekka