Re: [tip:core/locking] locking, x86: Slightly shorten __ticket_spin_trylock()

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Dec 02 2009 - 11:57:54 EST

On Wed, 2 Dec 2009, Jan Beulich wrote:

> This just can't be the case: In order for two compilers to be
> interoperable, the processor specific ABI has to define the handling of
> bool, just like it has to for any other data type.

You are full of crap.

The fact is, compilers are _not_ interoperable in general, and ABI's are
often compiler-specific. Look at MSVC vs gcc on x86 for just a really
obvious and trivial example. The fact is, on x86-unix we simply don't
have any real ABI at all, and gcc picks whatever randon choices it has.

So stop making excuses. Just admit that 'bool' was wrong, and you made a
fundamental mistake in choosing it. The fact is, the compiler can do
whatever the hell it does, which is not necessarily sensible with any
other type. 'bool' really is special.

Linus