Re: [tip:core/locking] locking, x86: Slightly shorten __ticket_spin_trylock()

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Dec 02 2009 - 12:49:09 EST

On Wed, 2 Dec 2009, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> For what it's worth, the gcc ABI for i386-Linux treats _Bool (bool) as
> follows:
>
> When in memory, except stack slots:
>
> sizeof(_Bool) = 1
> 0 is false, 1 is true, any other value is *undefined behavior*.
>
> When in registers, or in a stack slot:
>
> Registers, and stack slots, are always 4 bytes
> 0 is false, 1 is true, any other value is *undefined behavior*.

Hmm. Odd. I just checked:

_Bool myfunction(char val)
{
return val;
}

and compiling it with

gcc -O2 -S -m32 -mregparm=3 -fomit-frame-pointer t.c

I get

myfunction:
testb %al, %al
setne %al
ret

which only sets the low 8 bits. So my gcc actually seems to think that
_Bool is just 8 bits, at least for return values, and then upper 24 bits
are undefined. It also generates 'testb' for a test of a return value.

So it so happens that I think Jan's patch would have worked - except for
the PV_OPS mess. _Bool does act like a 'char' on x86 at least with gcc. I
still think that it's fundamentally wrong to use 'bool' because of how
subtly it can act.

Linus