Re: [RFC v2] Another approach to IR

From: Jarod Wilson
Date: Wed Dec 02 2009 - 15:57:51 EST

On Dec 2, 2009, at 3:48 PM, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:

>>> Not exactly... I can have 2 identical USB keyboadrs form the same
>>> manufacturer and they will still be treated separately. BT has session
>>> ID to help distinguish between devices.
>>
>> Semantics. :)
>>
>> My main point is that each of these devices has device ID that can be determined without having to first do some protocol analysis and table lookups to figure out which "device" some random IR input is actually coming from.
>>

> Heh, right back at ya ;) The fact that you need to do some more work
> to separate 2 physical devices does not mean it should not be done.

No, but it means added complexity inside the kernel. I'm questioning whether the added complexity is worth it, when I doubt the vast majority of users would take advantage of it, and it can already be done in userspace. Although... Damn. The userspace approach would only work if the device were passing raw IR to userspace, so in the in-kernel decoding case, yeah, I guess you'd need separate input devices for each remote to use them independently. Meh. Doubt I'd ever use it, but I guess I'll concede that it makes some sense to do the extra work.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod@xxxxxxxxxxxx