Re: [Patch] tty: move a definition out of switch block

From: Cong Wang
Date: Thu Dec 03 2009 - 03:33:59 EST

Alan Cox wrote:
On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 02:54:44 -0500
Amerigo Wang <amwang@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It's not good to leave a definition between 'switch'
and its first label. Move it out of the switch block.

"Not good". On what basis is it not good to put variables local to
their scope ?

Hello, Alan,

Generally putting variables local in the local scope is fine, but
not for 'switch' block, to be more precisely, not for the case
where putting local variables between 'switch' and its _first_
label, IMO.

It can lead to misunderstanding easily, since 'switch'
jumps to its first label at a first glance. I know in this case
the code is _not_ wrong, but again, it's not good for reading.

Also, there's no conflicts if we put it out of 'switch' block.

Thanks.