Re: reiser4: newbie help needed?

From: Johannes Buchner
Date: Thu Dec 03 2009 - 15:25:38 EST

On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 10:21:18 +0100
Edward Shishkin <edward.shishkin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Johannes Buchner wrote:
> > I took a look at the TODO lists, are there any simple tasks to
> > do for newbies?
>
> If you mean the "todo for inclusion", then no.
>
> Reiser4 has only one technical issue. It can
> be resolved only by very experienced people.

Thanks for replying. I did not have to the inclusion of
reiser4 in mind specifically.

> > I also believe that on 'sync', reiser4 currently does absolutely
> > nothing.
>
> this is not good: a file system should respond on sync (1).
>
> > The comment in reiser4_sync_inodes says reiser4 does its own
> > flush elsewhere. Should this be different?
> >

> you might want to ask such question _before_ sending patches to akpm.

I was under the believe that I did not change the behaviour. I see my
mistake now, I was looking at the wrong if-branch.

I tried now to come up with a correct version for some hours, but I keep
having NULL problems. Maybe a writeback_control object has to be
created, possibly even in fs/fs-writeback.c:sync_inodes_sb, as
write_inode_now does below. I tried that too, but it gave me a
recursion. I'm not sure what the rationale was for introducing a call
with NULL here. Sorry I can't correct this.

Looking forward to your review.

Best wishes,
Johannes

--
Emails können geändert, gefälscht und eingesehen werden. Signiere oder
verschüssele deine Mails mit GPG.