2.6.32: scripts/kconfig/streamline_config.pl :Malfunction

From: Patrick Ringl
Date: Fri Dec 04 2009 - 13:43:28 EST

Hi,

I have encounted the following malfunction of the recently added streamline_config script. When running the following occurs:

ack:~/linux-2.6.32# scripts/kconfig/streamline_config.pl >config_strip
using config: '.config'
Use of uninitialized value $ksource in concatenation (.) or string at scripts/kconfig/streamline_config.pl line 117.
dock config not found!!
module pata_sis did not have configs CONFIG_PATA_SIS

As a result: it couldnt map one currently loaded module properly and the other module had been properly mapped, but somehow the dependency/integrity check triggered it, since it wasnt enabled properly.

I checked the output of the script and yea as I assumed CONFIG_ACPI_DOCK is not set.

'dock' refers to:

ack:~/linux-2.6.32# modinfo dock
filename: /lib/modules/2.6.26-2-amd64/kernel/drivers/acpi/dock.ko

and the belonging Kconfig file says:

config ACPI_DOCK
bool "Dock"
depends on EXPERIMENTAL
help
This driver supports ACPI-controlled docking stations and removable
drive bays such as the IBM Ultrabay and the Dell Module Bay.

The same with 'pata_sis' (CONFIG_PATA_SIS is also not set) ..

ack:~/linux-2.6.32# modinfo pata_sis
filename: /lib/modules/2.6.26-2-amd64/kernel/drivers/ata/pata_sis.ko

and the belonging Kconfig file:

config SATA_SIS
tristate "SiS 964/965/966/180 SATA support"
depends on PCI
select PATA_SIS
help
This option enables support for SiS Serial ATA on
SiS 964/965/966/180 and Parallel ATA on SiS 180.
The PATA support for SiS 180 requires additionally to
enable the PATA_SIS driver in the config.
If unsure, say N.

In the end (if one ignored the two missing modules) a make silentoldconfig didnt even work.

What I did to reproduce this was using the standard kernel config of debian lenny's amd64 branch.

PS: I wrote such software myself, but I am going a totally different approach. Your idea is not that bad actually (I am enabling kernel config options and I am tracking all dependencies properly, while you can just ignore them, since your script only disables stuff).

regards,
Patrick