Re: 2.6.31-rc9 kernel BUG and mvsas

From: Kristleifur Daðason
Date: Fri Dec 04 2009 - 14:09:18 EST

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 7:00 PM, Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Dec 2009, Kristleifur DaÄason wrote:

>>> Would just like to chime in with a "me too" on this. I've tried both ubuntu
>>> 9.10 kernel (2.6.31) and their 10.04 pre-alpha (guess it's 2.6.32-rc8) and
>>> mvsas + AOC-SASLP-MV8 is pretty much unusable. If I start md creation it
>>> stalls immediately and gets nowhere, last time I tried it md claimed it had
>>> written 160 blocks then it stalled (all drive LEDs on the controller is
>>> constantly lit).
>>>
>>> If I boot without drives and then hot-plug the drives, it immediately
>>> oops:es.
>>>
>>> Any code/fixes I can try, this is a lab machine so I can easily do whatever
>>> needed with it...
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I had a bit of trouble finding some patches that were released by Andy Yan at
>> Marvell on November 9th, so here is a link:
>>
>> 1/7: http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-scsi/2009/11/9/6558753
>
> They applied cleanly to the ubuntu 10.04 2.6.32 kernel source package but when compiling I received an error about "sas_change_queue_depth" having wrong amount of arguments:
>
> - Â Â Â Â Â Â Â sas_change_queue_depth(sdev, MVS_QUEUE_SIZE);
> + Â Â Â Â Â Â Â sas_change_queue_depth(sdev, MVS_QUEUE_SIZE, SCSI_QDEPTH_DEFAULT);
>
> So I removed that change and then things compiled, booted properly, but just froze when I plugged in the disks (including some garbled graphics on my X screen). That patch set doesn't seem to be ok.

(This is resent as my first email was HTML formatted and rejected by
the list. Edited and amended also.)

Cheers for trying them out! For the record, I think they were made
against 2.6.31, perhaps the original 2.6.31 rather than later 2.6.31.x
releases.

And also, I recommend using the mainline kernel for Ubuntu, especially
when trying these patches. It's available here:
http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/ - including source
packages.

-- Kristleifur