Re: 2.6.31-rc9 kernel BUG and mvsas

From: Mikael Abrahamsson
Date: Sat Dec 05 2009 - 05:54:35 EST

On Fri, 4 Dec 2009, Kristleifur Daðason wrote:

Cheers for trying them out! For the record, I think they were made
against 2.6.31, perhaps the original 2.6.31 rather than later 2.6.31.x
releases.

It doesn't apply cleanly against vanilla 2.6.31, it does however apply cleanly against vanilla 2.6.32, but with the following compile error:

drivers/scsi/mvsas/mv_sas.c: In function âmvs_slave_configureâ:
drivers/scsi/mvsas/mv_sas.c:417: error: âSCSI_QDEPTH_DEFAULTâ undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/scsi/mvsas/mv_sas.c:417: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
drivers/scsi/mvsas/mv_sas.c:417: error: for each function it appears in.)
drivers/scsi/mvsas/mv_sas.c:417: error: too many arguments to function âsas_change_queue_depthâ
make[4]: *** [drivers/scsi/mvsas/mv_sas.o] Error 1

When removing this extra option, it compiles with vanilla 2.6.32 just fine. I crashes the same way as the ubuntu kernel when hot-plugging a disk as well (this time I did it without gdm/x running and it oopses, but unfortunately the highest part of the oops scrolled off). It's 100% reproducible anyway, so basically the controller is a no-go in 2.6.31.6 and 2.6.32 both vanilla and ubuntu versions, both without and including the nov09 mvsas patch (at least the original version of the patch as posted). Different failure scenarios though... With the stock kernel the controller seems to get stuck in writing and nothing more happens but at least the machine doesn't crash and burn like it does with the mvsas-patch.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson email: swmike@xxxxxxxxx