Re: [BUG] 2.6.32 - Sddr-09 SM reader resets endlessly

From: Alan Stern
Date: Sat Dec 05 2009 - 16:34:39 EST

On Sat, 5 Dec 2009, Andries E. Brouwer wrote:

> > Andries, do you have any idea what's going on? Evidently this device
> > doesn't accept the protocol used by the sddr09 driver.
>
> Hi Alan,
>
> Sorry, no - I have no memory and worked on these USB drivers
> years ago. Forgot all details. Also my last sddr09 device broke
> some time ago.
>
> Looking at my old files I do not see the Vendor Id 0781, so maybe
> this is a device I never encountered.
> These old files also discuss some trickery with multi-lun devices
> where the driver needed depends on the lun. This is not a reader
> of multiple types of card?
>
> Many of my SM readers worked with either sddr09 or sddr55.
> Does the unusual devices section today say that such a device
> needs sddr09?
>
> Found a 2.6.31 source tree. Yes,
>
> UNUSUAL_DEV( 0x0781, 0x0200, 0x0000, 0x9999,
> "Sandisk",
> "ImageMate SDDR-09",
> US_SC_SCSI, US_PR_EUSB_SDDR09, usb_stor_sddr09_init,
> 0),
>
> Is it known who added this? Is 0208 in the interval of known devices
> for which sddr09 works?

The entry was added before 2.5.0 (more than 7 years ago), and I can't
tell who added it. And the entry doesn't say anything about DPCM
(multiple-LUN trickery).

Ed, it looks like you're out of luck. Unless you can figure out the
vendor-specific protocol used by that device, and modify the sddr09
driver to support it, you won't be able to use the device under Linux.

Or am I completely off base? Did it used to work with an earlier
kernel? If it did, can you get a usbmon trace of it?

Alan Stern