Re: Bisected regression

From: Roland Dreier
Date: Thu Dec 10 2009 - 14:34:53 EST

> Roland, are you filing a report for this?

Yes, I'll try to track this down.

> I can test other patches if you have good ideas, otherwise I suggest we
> revert the commit.

I'll definitely try to get the BIOS fixed but I do also think that the
kernel shouldn't panic on bad info from the BIOS -- we used to be able
to run fine with what the BIOS gave us. BIOSes are always going to be
crap, and we can print nasty messages in those cases, but the kernel
shouldn't panic unless things are really hopeless.

The benefit of the commit in question seemed to be code cleanup and
reducing use of bootmem -- which I don't think is enough benefit to
justify increasing fragility at runtime.

- R.