Re: Does pci_map_single magicly work on > 32 bit address for 32bit capable device?

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Fri Dec 11 2009 - 19:07:33 EST

On 12/11/2009 03:39 PM, Maxim Levitsky wrote:
Hi,

I am writing a driver, and I am faced with following problem:

I receive a kernel pointer, and I want device to dma into that memory.
However, device is only capable of 32 bit dma.

I can create a 'consistent' mapping and use memcpy from/to it, but it
feels like waste of performance.

According to Documentation/DMA-mapping.txt, I can tell that hw supports
32 bit dma using pci_set_dma_mask, however, what will happen if I pass
arbitrary kernel address into pci_map_single.
What will happen if the address is above 32 bit?

The kernel should set up an IOMMU (either hardware or software) mapping for that memory so that the device can access it through an address below 4GB. This is assuming it's a 64-bit kernel (on 32-bit, a kernel memory address will always be below 4GB).