Re: hwrng: virtio - Rename driver object to remove sectionmismatch warning

From: Sam Ravnborg
Date: Fri Dec 11 2009 - 19:23:06 EST

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 12:08:49PM -0800, Randy Dunlap wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 13:25:57 -0600 Matt Mackall wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2009-12-11 at 23:36 +0800, Herbert Xu wrote:
> > > Hi:
> > >
> > > Finally found the cause of the section mismatch warning in hwrng.
> > > Apparently in addition to __devexit_p we now have to name the
> > > variable in a certain way.
> >
> > That's fairly appalling. Any idea why?
>
> (I haven't read the rest of this thread..)
>
> scripts/mod/modpost.c looks for certain variable names to identify
> variables that can have references to other (non-data) sections.
> It's mostly explained there.

Another option is to annotate the relevant variable.

>From init.h:
/* modpost check for section mismatches during the kernel build.
* A section mismatch happens when there are references from a
* code or data section to an init section (both code or data).
* The init sections are (for most archs) discarded by the kernel
* when early init has completed so all such references are potential bugs.
* For exit sections the same issue exists.
* The following markers are used for the cases where the reference to
* the *init / *exit section (code or data) is valid and will teach
* modpost not to issue a warning.
* The markers follow same syntax rules as __init / __initdata. */
#define __ref __section(.ref.text) noinline
#define __refdata __section(.ref.data)
#define __refconst __section(.ref.rodata)

Sam