Re: nconfig v7

From: Jan Engelhardt
Date: Sun Dec 13 2009 - 06:11:29 EST

On Sunday 2009-12-13 08:23, Nir Tzachar wrote:
>On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 9:55 PM, Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> I gave nconfig a try, and here are a few suggestive points:
>
>10x ;)

Ten times what?

>> - provide the same color scheme as menuconfig
>
>As far as colrs are involved, I think it is best to not impose any
>color scheme. You can never satisfy everyone, and will get into
>endless fights about which is best.

Well, menuconfig seems to have had the least fights. There was exactly
one color scheme imposed, and that did not change for years; when themes
were added, not much happened. There was a bit of discussion and
submissions about themes (including myself), but in the end, it was
sort-of agreed upon that four were enough. And they seem to work for
everybody.

>I believe the current approach in nconfig works best, as I am using
>the default terminal colors for the main body of text (menus, help
>text, etc), and only use colors for emphasis (headings, boxes, etc).

No sorry. Black-on-blue does not work very much, for the physical fact
that blue is recognized as faint. Let me put in some numbers (30,59,11%
are the common RGB weighting for grayscale/luminance)

Blue: Effective Lum:
- xterm standard (#0000EE): 26.18
- VGA standard (#0000AA): 18.70
Cyan:
- VGA (#00AAAA) 119.00

So you see why Midnight Commander, htop, etc. all use Black-on-Cyan for
their Fn keybar instead of Blue.

>This is based on the belief that users have already chosen the colors
>which work best for them, and are already using them in their teminal's
>config.
>
>> - I get a visual glitch (see Exhibit A below) in General setup (patch
>> Âslapped onto 2.6.32); the left frame part is missing.
>
>I cannot reproduce this. Can you provide some more details? (e.g.,
>which terminal, $LINES, $COLUMNS, $TERM)

xterm -bg black -fg gray -geometry 80x25

>> - I certainly like F4-Config-ShowAll :) Âbut it has some glitches
>> Âinterfering near ARCH_DEFCONFIG (see Exhibit B).
>
>Thanks for catching this. It is a by-product of the code for
>presenting everything inside a single menu. Easily fixed in the next
>version. By the way, is anyone using this option at all? It would much
>simplify the code if I did not have to support the one giant menu
>option.

Well nconfig is the first to provide that option. (Note: I don't use
gconfig or xconfig, so I cannot tell if they have something like that.)
So to see whether there is use, you would have to wait a number of
kernel releases that have nconfig integrated.